NEWS: 2015

Alumni Profile: Kathryn Stracquatanio, Technical Lead, Bluecadet, Philadelphia

This just in from alum Katie Stracquatanio (PhilaU GDC, 2008): I graduated Philadelphia University in 2008 with a Graphic Design degree in hand, looking to land a job. After meeting with a recruiter and showing all my print portfolio pieces, they matched me with the perfect job... a developer position. I started out on a trial basis and furiously Googled my way into a semi-functioning developer. I taught myself Flash banners, emails, and figured out how to hobble together a small website.

Once I became well versed in the web marketing world, I moved on to a new exciting and terrifying (in a good way) position, working as a developer with huge name brands at One Trick Pony. Nothing is more humbling than getting to work with companies like Virgin, Turner, Sony and Toyota.

Eventually I made my way from Developer to Senior Developer and now a Technical Lead at Bluecadet. They are an Emmy Award-winning digital agency in Philadelphia that creates world-class websites, mobile apps, interactive installations, and immersive environments. They collaborate with leading museums, cultural institutions, universities, and nonprofit organizations to educate, engage, and entertain. Not only is the content amazing to work with, but the products we push out the door are beautifully designed and cutting edge. With three years and several coding languages under my belt at Bluecadet, I have produced award winning work from games and apps to touch screens and websites.

Moving from design into development was challenging, but in many ways, the two fields go hand in hand. I develop how objects move across the screen and how the user interacts with their device. I use code to connect one design to the next, telling a story and furthering the exploration of content. I solve problems to make ideas come to life and continuously overuse words like feel, flow and pixel perfection.

Hoover-Mason Trestle: website and mobile app development. Bluecadet

The Hoover-Mason Trestle, the backbone of Bethlehem Steel, has recently been reimagined with a new elevated walkway for visitors to see it’s inner workings upclose. With the opening, we developed a website and mobile app to give users a behind the scenes look through audio, video and imagery. On site, visitors can listen to an audio tour through the mobile app as they follow the path and waypoint signage—also designed by Bluecadet.

2. Haruki Murakami: Frontend development. Bluecadet

Haruki Murakami: Frontend development. Bluecadet

Haruki Murakami is another Bluecadet winner of the 2015 Webby Awards. The fully responsive website brings to life the imaginative and immersive work of the celebrated author, Haruki Murakami.

Chemcrafter: Developed in Unity3d for iPad. Bluecadet

Chemcrafter is a game that fosters learning through scientific experimentation. The app features custom illustrated characters and chemical reactions that are true to science. So true in-fact,  that Bluecadet had a team of scientists give input for chemical reactions like color, smoke, explosion force and, most importantly, mathematically correct formulas to get it as real to life as possible. Chemcrafter recently won a 2015 Webby for Family and Kids App and has over half a million downloads.

31 Days of Oscars: Flash development. One Trick Pony

Every year, Turner Classic Movies plays 31 days of non-stop Oscar winner and nominated movies to queue up the Academy Awards. And each year a fully immersive site was developed alongside the experience. For 2012, the films were organized into a playlist by location. One Trick Pony developed and designed a site that collected illustrated travel stickers on a suitcase as each new location theme was revealed throughout the 31 days.