Part four of a five-part series.
Dr. Gallagher endorsed the addition of co-curricular and extra-curricular programs for students:
• 1987: The University began a student leadership seminar with distinguished speakers.
• 2000: Philadelphia University’s Annual Fashion Show moved from the Bucky Harris Gym to the renowned Academy of Music.
• In the late 1950s the College offered only five sports. In 2006, Philadelphia University offered 14 intercollegiate sports in the NCAA Division II.
• Fall 2005: Men’s and women’s Cross Country were reinstated.
• Fall 2006: Instituted Men’s and Women’s Rowing
– The sport is very popular and both teams are already competing in local regattas.
• 2006–2007 Basketball Season: Men’s Head Coach Herb Magee and Women’s Head Coach Tom Shirley set NCAA records for their career victories.
– Coach Magee celebrated his 800th win
– Coach Shirley achieved his 500th win
– In honor of Magee’s tremendous achievement, the main court was christened the Herb Magee Court at Philadelphia University.
– By February 1, 2007 Herb Magee became the coach with the most wins in NCAA Division II men’s basketball, with a total of 829.