The Philadelphia University Graphic Design Communication Program was well represented by faculty members and alumni at the 2009 Philadelphia Design Awards Competition and Exhibition administered by AIGA Philadelphia, the professional association for design.
Eighty-two projects, out of more than 600 submitted, were accepted into the competition and exhibition. Twenty out of the 82 project awards were won by alumni or faculty of the Graphic Design Communication Program, representing nearly 25 percent award-winning designs.
Faculty award-winning projects include:
- Maribeth Kradel-Weitzel, assistant professor of graphic design and principal of Kradel Design, for her “Wear Your Voice” poster, AIGA Philadelphia
- Frank Baseman, associate professor of graphic design, principal of Baseman Design Associates and AIGA/Philadelphia fellow, for his designs of Frank Fellow brand system; Frank Fellow brand poster; Christoph Niemann Lecture poster; School of Design and Media Spring 2007 Lecture Series poster; “The Graphic Imperative” exhibition poster at The Design Center at Philadelphia University
- Martin Duffy, adjunct professor in the School of Design and Media and of Johnston Duffy, for his Dirt/Clean Design “Cross-Pollinate” poster
Philadelphia University alumni award-winning projects include:
- Lizania Cruz ’07, Judges Choice Award for the design of an Anthropologie book bag and several Anthropologie packaging and invitation projects
- Lizania Cruz ’07 and Dan Gneiding ’01, Anthropologie, Rockefeller Center store opening invitation
- Justin Moll ’99 of Mangos, Inc., for the design of the “Dreamer @ Work” newsletter
- Heather McGuigan ’01 of Caspari McCormick, for the Delaware Theatre Company season brochure
- Leslie Graham ’04 of Mad Maude Press, for “The Great Disasters of History” product
- Jeremy Holmes ’98 of Mutt Ink won four illustration awards for his “Organic Cosmetics,” “The Tree of Life,” “Golf or Ski or Both,” and Faunomusicology Society series works
The judging of the design competition took place in mid-Nov. 2008. The judging panel was composed of industry leaders: Sean Adams of Adams/Morioka, Los Angeles; Rick Landesberg of Landesberg Design, Pittsburgh; Alice Twemlow of the School of Visual Arts, NYC; Alice Chung of Omnivore, NYC; and Scott Stowell of Open Design Studio, NYC.
The PDA Awards exhibition was on display through the month of May 2009 at AXD (Always by Design) Gallery in Center City, Philadelphia. For more information, visit the Philadelphia Design Awards website at www.aigapda.com/.