Senior design students showcased their creative and innovative work at the 2013 Senior Design Show, and the top designs received the annual Maurice Kanbar Excellence in Design awards at a May 10 reception.
The student designs across a range of disciplines included graphic design posters, products and board games, a self-balancing electric motorcycle design, green building products and architecture designs, to name just a few of the many innovative works on display.
The many visitors at this year’s show included industry partners, employers, officials from other universities and local school groups, as well as PhilaU faculty, staff, students, parents and alumni.
Kanbar Award winners received a monetary prize for their achievements. The winners of the Kanbar Award for Excellence in Graphic Design Communications were:
- Laura Hofman – Gold Award ($2,000)
- Alexandra Doucette – Silver Award ($1,000)
- Christina Minopoli – Bronze Award ($750)
- Jewell Richardson – Honorable Mention ($500)
- Jeffrey Stiefel – Honorable Mention ($250)
The winners of the Kanbar Award for Design Excellence in Industrial Design were:
- Brian Celenza – Gold Award ($2,000)
- Christian Loos and Tara Ridgeway – Silver Award ($1500)
- Kristina Gaudio – Bronze Award ($1,000)
The winners of the Employer’s Choice Awards were:
- Architecture – Tyler Dye
- Engineering – Dustin Balton
- Fashion Design – Sarah Fitzgerald
- Graphic Design – Jeffrey Stiefel
- Industrial Design Graduate: Ken Reita
- Industrial Design Undergraduate: Brian McClellan and Mercan Sisman
- Interactive Design & Media – Domenic Bonanni
- Interior Design – Laura Neff
- Sustainable Design – Ethan Megill
- Textile Design Graduate – Jennifer Gin
- Textile Design Undergraduate – Claire Musser
The Senior Design Show included student work from all design disciplines at PhilaU: architecture, digital animation, digital design, graphic design communication, industrial design, interior design, fashion design, textile design, landscape architecture, and master’s programs in digital design and sustainable design.